May 2018 is Bladder Cancer Awareness Month. It is a global campaign aimed at focusing attention on bladder cancer.
Throughout the month talkhealth will be supporting the charity, Fight Bladder Cancer who are highlighting the impact of bladder cancer, promoting awareness of the symptoms and urging greater investment in research.
In Europe over 150,000 people are diagnosed with bladder cancer every year. It is the fifth biggest cancer in the western world, but receives only a tiny amount of the funding available for cancer. It is the ‘forgotten cancer’.
You can find out more about how you can help, support and fund raise throughout May and beyond on the Fight Bladder Cancer website.
Key Facts about Bladder Cancer
- Bladder cancer is NOT RARE. It’s the 5th most common cancer in the Western world.
- It can affect anyone – men and women of all ages, even children.
- There have not been any major new treatments in over 40 years.
- It is the only ‘top 10’ cancer where prognosis is getting worse. In Europe, 53,000 people die of bladder cancer every single year.
- Bladder cancer gets only 1% of the cancer research spend!